CV and Interview Tips
How to stand out in the crowd
- Use good quality paper
- Introduce yourself with an opening “profile” paragraph
- Use summary headings and bullet points
- Start your career history with your most recent job
- State your hobbies and interests
- Explain why you are suited to the job in your covering letter
- Tailor the CV to the job applied for
- Get a second opinion (fresh eyes often spot simple errors)
- Use more than two to three pages
- Use the first person tense ( i.e “I”) always refer to yourself in the third person
- Leave unexplained gaps in your career history
If preparation is the key, take advantage of our tips and suggestions and give yourself the edge!
- Research the company and the job, this is your opportunity to demonstrate how well suited you are to the position and the environment
- Check directions for where you are going before the day of the interview (go and take a look the night before if possible) and take the company’s phone number with you just in case
- Dress appropriately: wear a suit
- Introduce yourself with a firm handshake and make eye contact
- Plan ahead and ask questions, show the interviewer how interested you are in the job and their company
- Be conscious of your body language throughout the interview, and always remember to be enthusiastic and smile!
- Be late!
- Be negative about why you are leaving your present company